No anatomical illustrations of the entire human body are preserved from the Islamic world before those which accompany the Persian treatise composed by Mansur ibn Muhammad ibn Ahmad ibn Yusuf ibn Ilyas, who came from a Persian family of scholars and physicians working in the city of Shiraz.
The treatise consists of an introduction followed by five chapters on the five “systems” of the body: bones, nerves, muscles, veins, and arteries – each illustrated with a full-page diagram. The images here are from two manuscripts. The first one is from 1488. The other one is undated and unsigned; probably 15th or early 16th-century. (U.S. National Library of Medicine. → More)
First Manuscript (1488)
Second Manuscript (undated and unsigned; probably 15th or early 16th-century)
* Posts in ShahreFarang are projects-in-process. If you have pictures that you would like to include in this post please contact ShahreFarang.
* Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShahreFarang newsletter now for updates. (No spam, we promise) You can also follow ShahreFarang on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+, or grab ShahreFarang RSS feed in English!
Donate to ShahreFarang
If you visit ShahreFarang regularly and would like to help keep the site on the Internet, please consider donating a small sum. There is no minimum donation, any sum is appreciated.
Popular Posts (Last 24 Hours)
- Iranian Costumes
- Lady Cockroach
- Prophet Mohammad, Depicted as a Tun…
- First Grade Persian Textbook (~1945…
- Shamloo by the Caspian Sea
- Second Grade Persian Textbook (1960…
- Women’s Clothing in Iran
- Comic books in Persian
- Faces from Old Neighborhoods in Shi…
- Vogue in Iran (1969)
- Irandokht, born in 1942
- Building Azadi Tower (Shahyad)
- Tehran Taxi in London
- Iran National Football Team
- Stereoscopic Pictures of Iran in th…
TagsBooks Building California Cards Childhood Children Books cityscapes Clothing Costume Decorations Documents Education Graphic Design Illustration Islam Los Angeles Magazines Miniatures Murals Music neighborhood Orientalism Painting Photography Pop Music Portrait Postcards Propaganda Qajar Religion Restaurants Revolution Shia Shiism Shiraz Shops Show Sport Street Talisman Tehran Textbook Theater Vinyl Records War